Department of Applied Linguistics
- contrastive and typological linguistics,
- Estonian language abroad,
- the methodology of acquisition and teaching of Estonian as native, foreign and second language,
- measuring of language proficiency,
- Internet-based language learning and language technology resources.
Teaching: BA and MA programmes for Estonian as a foreign language and MA programm for teachers of Estonian language and literature and Estonian as a foreign language.
In the course of the BA and MA programmes we wish to train lecturers of Estonian language and culture, also to send to universities abroad, who in addition to knowledge in Estonian philology can speak several languages and are prepared for working in a multicultural and multilingual environment.
As from 2013, the programme Estonian as a Foreign Language is open to both Estonian and Non-Estonian students.